Sunday, October 12, 2008

Taking advantage of my Blackberry Curve

See the post linked below for some good information on encoding videos for a Blackberry. Thanks to work, I have one of these, and I like it very much. I've just ordered an 8GB micro-SD HD card from newegg.com, so it will be fun to see how this works as an audio/video player.

HOW-TO: Video encoding for 8300 - BlackBerryForums.com : Your Number One BlackBerry Community

Because I use Ubuntu Linux as my desktop OS, this is the part that I was interested in:
mencoder -vf scale=320:240 INPUT_FILE -o OUTPUT_FILE -of avi -ovc lavc -oac lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=230:acodec=mp3:abitrate=64

Once I get the card in, I'll post with the results of some experiments. Another interesting feature of this phone is that the mic/headphone supplied with the Blackberry have four connectors on a 3.5mm jack (as you would expect). However, you can use any standard headphones with the Blackberry. This means that you could plug it into your car's cassette adapter (if, like me, you drive a pre-iPod vehicle).



No comments: